The Gateway Alliance are delighted to be working in partnership with the University of Northampton, to offer a locally delivered National Award for SEN Coordinators programme.
Completion of the SENCo Award has been mandatory for the teacher designated as the SENCo since 2009. New SENCos must gain this qualification within three years of taking up their SENCo post.
It may also be relevant for those aspiring to be SENCos or those who were already in the post of SENCo prior to 2009 and wish to pursue accredited professional development in this area. Completing the course entitles candidates with 60 credits which can be used towards an MA in SEN and Inclusion. The programme is taught by experienced senior lecturers from the University of Northampton, School of Education’s Centre for Education and Research (CESNER) alongside Local Authority and Alliance partners with expertise in SEND. This programme is endorsed by NASEN.
The overall aims of the course are:
- Developing inclusive teaching approaches and co-ordinating provision for pupils with SEN and/or disabilities in their schools
- Applying methods to identify additional needs and monitor the progress of pupils with SEN and/ or disabilities
- Instigating evidence-based, strategic approaches when deploying, supporting and managing other teaching and support staff
- Establishing networks and partnerships with other local SENCos and local SEN specialists
Feedback from previous participants…
“This course has developed me as a leader within school. The strategic direction the school takes in regard to SEN is so important and I feel empowered now within my role to lead the school forward.”
“The National Award has been really helpful, especially as someone new to the role. The tutors are really approachable and happy to answer any questions big or small. The assignments are also purposeful for the role.”
The programme includes:
- Two modules each worth 30 Level 7 credits at Master’s Level
- Face-to-face taught sessions (7 days in total spread across the academic year 2017-2018)
- Online support – discussion groups, networking
- Access to university support and services
- Mentor support
Cost: £1,890 per participant
Closing date for applications: Friday 29th September 2017
Provisional Launch Date: Saturday 14th October 2017
Venue: Face to face sessions will take place at a range of Warwickshire venues following an initial induction day at the University of Northampton’s Park Campus.
Click here to download the full flyer.
For more information please visit the University of Northampton website.
To apply, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or call: 01604 892042.